Legal Manager, Legal Leasing
AerCap is seeking a motivated individual to join its Legal Leasing team for the EMEA region as Legal Manager, Legal Leasing.
The Legal Leasing department provides strategic advice and counsel to senior executives, AerCap's board, and AerCap stakeholders on all customer-facing legal issues, including commercial transactions, litigation, and regulatory matters.
The Legal Manager will work together with senior lawyers in structuring, drafting and negotiation of a wide range of cross-border transactional agreements in the EMEA region including aircraft and engine lease contracts, restructuring arrangements, novations, sale and purchase agreements, engine exchange agreements, and aircraft maintenance agreements. The role will also collaborate in the management of litigation, oversight of external counsel, and advising the company on compliance and regulatory matters. To succeed, the applicant must be detail-oriented, highly organized, self-starting, and thrive in fast-paced environments.
AerCap is the global leader in aircraft leasing with 1,519 owned or managed aircraft in its portfolio as of March 31, 2018, and one of the most attractive order books in the industry. AerCap serves approximately 200 customers in approximately 80 countries with comprehensive fleet solutions.
AerCap is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (AER) and has its headquarters in Dublin, with offices in Shannon, Los Angeles, Singapore, Amsterdam, Fort Lauderdale, Shanghai, Abu Dhabi, Seattle and Toulouse.
- Structure and draft cross-border transactional agreements including aircraft and engine lease contracts, restructuring arrangements, novations, sale and purchase agreements, engine exchange agreements, aircraft maintenance agreements, and all other day-to-day agreements
Litigation and contractual disputes
- Coordinate management of litigation and contractual disputes involving airline bankruptcies, equipment repossessions, and collection matters
- Coordinate management of external counsel in diverse foreign jurisdictions
- Advise the company and its subsidiaries:
- on compliance and regulatory matters, including FCPA and export controls
- in all types of civil disputes with lessees, vendors, manufacturers, and other third parties
- on legal issues incident to AerCap's international aircraft finance business, including aviation, contractual, regulatory, compliance, and corporate governance matters
Job requirements, qualifications, and competencies
- Up to 3 years PQE in a law firm
- Aviation finance/leasing, corporate finance, banking or M&A background
- Strong academic and professional background
- Excellent writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Transactional background, with aviation financing/leasing exposure considered a plus
- Experience in directly negotiating legal documentation
- Able to translate legal issues and concepts into layman's terms
- Comfortable in public speaking settings
- Proficient word processing skills
- Enthusiasm for international travel as required
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously
- Extraordinary attention to overall quality of the final product
- Flexible, self-starting, and tenacious with an exceptional aptitude for dealing with ambiguity
- Able to spot issues and identify hidden and prospective problems in their work scope
- Applies rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems
- Open to new ideas
- Examines the status quo and thinks of how to improve it