Vice President, Legal Leasing
AerCap is seeking a motivated individual to join its Legal Leasing team for the APAC region as Vice President, Legal Leasing.
The Legal Leasing department provides strategic advice and counsel to senior executives, AerCap's Board and AerCap stakeholders on all customer-facing legal issues, including commercial transactions, litigation, and regulatory matters. The role is responsible for structuring, drafting, negotiating, and executing of a wide range of cross-border transactional agreements in the APAC region, including aircraft and engine lease contracts, restructuring arrangements, lease novations, sale and purchase agreements, engine exchange agreements and aircraft maintenance agreements. The role will also manage litigation and contractual disputes, oversees outside counsel, and serve as a company advisor on compliance and regulatory matters. To succeed, the applicant must be detail-oriented, highly organized and self-starting, and must thrive in fast-paced environments. We are seeking a candidate that is fluent in Mandarin.
AerCap is the global leader in aircraft leasing with one of the most attractive order books in the industry. AerCap serves approximately 200 customers in approximately 80 countries with comprehensive fleet solutions.
AerCap is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (AER) and has its headquarters in Dublin with offices in Shannon, Los Angeles, Singapore, Amsterdam, Shanghai, Abu Dhabi, Seattle and Toulouse.
- Structure, negotiate, draft, and execute cross-border transactional agreements including aircraft and engine lease contracts, restructuring arrangements, novations, sale and purchase agreements, engine exchange agreements, aircraft maintenance agreements and all other day-to-day agreements
Litigation and contractual disputes
- Manage litigation and contractual disputes involving airline bankruptcies, equipment repossessions and collection matters
- Manage and coordinate the work of external counsel in diverse foreign jurisdictions
- Advise the company and its subsidiaries:
- on compliance and regulatory matters, including FCPA and export controls
- in all types of civil disputes with lessees, vendors, manufacturers, and other third parties
- on legal issues incident to AerCap's international aircraft finance business, including aviation, contractual, regulatory, compliance, and corporate governance matters
Job requirements, qualifications, and competencies
- At least 3 years PQE in a law firm
- Strong academic and professional background
- Excellent writing, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Advanced negotiation skills: can negotiate skillfully in tough situations opposite both internal and external advisors
- Able to translate legal issues and concepts into layman's terms
- Comfortable in public speaking settings
- Understands all major areas of aircraft leasing and sales (legal, regulatory, commercial, technical)
- Recognizes the major players in the industry (lessors, airlines, maintenance providers) and understands their relationships
- Proficient word processing skills
- Fluent in written and spoken Mandarin
- Enthusiastic for international travel
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously
- Extraordinary attention to overall quality of the final product
- Flexible, self-starting, and tenacious with an exceptional aptitude for dealing with ambiguity
- Able to spot issues and identify hidden and prospective problems in their work scope
- Applies rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems
- Open to new ideas
- Examines the status quo and thinks of how to improve it